VIPRE Endpoint Security Review

Easy to upgrade and manage but needs better reporting

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution as an endpoint product.

It was mainly being used for an antivirus. They did have the capabilities for device control to block USBs and CD re-writables, et cetera, from being used.

What is most valuable?

The solution was pretty good about blocking items.

It offered us a good layer of detection.

The solution is easy to upgrade.

Technical support was always very helpful.

In general, it was pretty easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

There just was a lot about it that I didn't like.

For blocking certain items, such as USBs, we felt like it was slowing down the network too much. Therefore we utilized a GPO for blocking things like that instead.

Our environment was big and I didn't feel like the console did a good enough job. We outgrew the product. I've been asking for a change for a couple of years now, and it finally got approved.

In terms of the console, I had over 2000 endpoints in there and there wasn't even a search feature for me to look through them. If I had to find where a policy was I had to sort in alphabetical order to find an endpoint that I wanted. They need to offer a search function within the console - maybe something that shows a "last connected" notice. That way, it's easier to manage obsolete machines that you don't need anymore. They had a very vague setting, like after so many days, when do you want us to remove these, you'd see them.

I just wish the console was a little more responsive when I would do commands.

The reports could have been better.

The product would show a lot of endpoints as not communicating. That was another pain point.

We constantly had to run an SQL query to clean up the database as I would know immediately when I was in the console, that it just wasn't being responsive. I could tell I was being given bad data and that we had to clean up the database. As soon as I would clean up that database, it was like a purging of the SQL database and it would become a lot more responsive. The problem was that our environment was too big. We're going through a growth spurt right now. In the end, the solution is small and much better suited for a small business.

We would get a lot of false positives and instead of them fixing the false positive, they would just want us to put in an exception, which I didn't care for.

The product is based on an older model of signature files. It doesn't use any artificial intelligence or anything. It was slow to refresh the policies and computer scans. The larger we got, the more it became an issue. If a company stayed small, I'm not sure if they would have noticed.

Up until 30 days ago, I had been working with the solution for six years.

We outgrew the solution. It just didn't work for us any longer. It's not a bad product, it's just better for smaller organizations.

The solution does not scale well. It's great for small businesses, however, it's easy to outgrow it. Once you are a big business, you'll need to find another option.

We had 2,000 users on the product.

Technical support was always very helpful and responsive. They were great. We were very satisfied with the level of help they gave to us.

We've actually recently moved over to CrowdStrike. We just deployed it. The switch happened 30 days or so ago.

We went with CrowdStrike and it replaced our antivirus as that's one of the tools that's included in the bundle. We outgrew this product and we're moving into different regions. It was a necessary change.

I personally didn't set it up. I inherited it. Therefore, I can't really speak to that part, however, I can say that I have upgraded it before and that was very easy.

I handled the maintenance aspect myself.

The solution is not overly expensive. It was less than $20 a user. In comparison, CrowdStrike is much more expensive. We paid once a year and there wasn't any other fee beyond the standard licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

We were using the latest version of the solution. We were using the latest on-premises version.

It's probably a good product for small businesses. It's just that we literally doubled in the last year. We outgrew it. It was an easy product to manage prior to our growth spurt.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten. I'd rate it higher if it offered artificial intelligence and worked for larger-scale businesses.

Find out what your peers are saying about J2 Global, Microsoft, Carbon Black and others in Endpoint Protection for Business (EPP). Updated: June 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.