Visio Review

Easy-to-use features for creating BPMN diagrams

What is our primary use case?

I have used Visio Professional to model business process to BPMN 2.0 standard in the Logistic and Insurance Industry. Visio has been an easy-to-use modeling tool for Logistic processes, Complaints processes, Compensation Recoveries processes, Insurance processes, and Finance processes. The modeling of the As-Is process allows process analysis to design an efficient To-be process.

How has it helped my organization?

Visio is used to model and communicate the business process.

As with all process modeling software when used correctly, it has the following benefits:

• Swimlanes enable clear accountability and responsibility.
  • The Data Objects are hyperlinked to the Standard Operating Procedures, Letters, and Forms.
  • The Data Store is linked to the CRM/ERP system.
  • The task types assigned to the task enables the identification of improvement opportunities.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create BPMN Diagrams with the Visio Professional, the ability to import Rules from the BPMN 2.0 Rule Set, and Check the diagram according to the BPMN 2.0 rules are the most valuable features.

The Align features are easy to use and keep the diagram neat and tidy as you model the business process with the stakeholders in process discovery workshops. You need to be pretty competent to be able to map the process on the spot.

The access to commonly used features with the right click of the mouse and F8 (Align) are the best features.

What needs improvement?

The Auto-Align has improved significantly from the previous release; however, you may still find the auto align features lacking if your process diagram has a fair degree of complexity. My suggestion is to keep your process model straight forward and use the intermediate Link Event or End Signal Event to break up, simplify or connect the the rest of the process map.

I have been using this solution for five years.

This is a stable solution. When working with a complex process model, ensure that your computer has sufficient RAM to support multiple software and multiple displays (three monitors) running concurrently.

Scalability is not applicable.

I have not required customer service or technical support in using Visio.

Visio is the first software that I used to start modeling business processes.

The initial setup of this solution was straight forward.

This solution was implemented in-house through the IT Support Team.

The ROI for this solution is hard to quantify.

The cost of the software is reasonably priced.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are considering modeling business process to BPMN 2.0 standards, you must purchase the Visio Professional version as the Standard version does not include the BPMN functionality.

1 Comment
Andrew-LimReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Its great to see that you can collaborate with others by adding and replying to comments within Visio 2019.

11 September 19