Visokio Omniscope Review

There are several valuable features, but the two we use the most are ETL DataManager to create data process flows and API Connectors to Ad servers.

What is most valuable?

Additional Useful functions:

Some GIS functions and mapping via Map view, integration for running R in the ETL and intuitive GUI.

How has it helped my organization?

It's provided our organization with time savings by taking the repetitive manual copy, pasting and cost calculations into more automated tasks which will execute by itself.

It allows you to interrogate data visually and at a granular level.

What needs improvement?

It's still a niche product and the mobile/web development seems to still be in progress of improving.

The room for improvement aspect is in comparison to other software that has a cloud interface which lets their users create/edit visualisations via a browser, doing away with the need to actually install anything. You just login with an email/password similar to how Google docs or MS Office On-line works. A lot of software is starting to move along this path and have started to offer stripped down on-line versions of the desktop software with fewer features. However, I know that the upcoming 3.0 (no set release date but optimistically it is targeted for this year) will start to allow users to "stream". How this works and the extent of it is still under wraps by the look of things.

Also, in terms of mobile/web development this is to do with how the reports are sent to end users. Currently the standard way is to send a specialised file format called a .iok file via email, which the end user will open within their own viewer version of Omniscope. They are moving away from this by allowing the developer/analyst to host them on-line and view them in a browser see these examples http://staging.omniscope.me/

Omniscope has partially (still bugs in 2.9) incorporated the ability to have a browser within itself for the sole purpose of being able to create HTML or Javascript library visualisations like d3.js within it (basically you embed standalone HTML pages). So any of these examples will potentially be available to incorporate https://github.com/mbostock/d3/wiki/Gallery.

5+ years

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Good

Good

Start small and find ways to take advantage of various features to optimise existing data tasks. The use of the software to quickly explore and analysis data means it has a fast deployment time.