Visual Paradigm Review

Data modeling through an interface that makes it easy-to-use and understand

What is our primary use case?

I used the product because I needed to do data modeling for financial services, risk management, and investment activities.

What is most valuable?

I guess the most valuable feature is that I find it easy-to-use and understand its data modeling structure and user interface. It does database reverse engineering. It does database forward engineering. It tended to be quite good at all of those things.

What needs improvement?

I do not think I really used it enough to find a lot of things that I did not like. It really did what I expected it to do. I did have some connectivity issues between Visual Paradigm and SQL Server in one instance but that would be the only thing that I think might need to be addressed as an issue. It is hard to tell if it was the product or something else within SQL Server.

I used Visual Paradigm in a previous organization for some time. On and off for maybe five years. I would not say I made extensive use of it as in I did not work with it every day, but I first started using it about five years ago and had to be relatively proficient with it.

There was one particular bug that caused some instability issues. I can not remember what the cause of it was exactly, but Paradigm was having trouble with Microsoft SQL Server system versioning tables. It was only one of the tables that it had trouble with, and I do not know why. I actually never worked out why but I managed to work around the issue. It would just lock up in that one particular instance. That was the only problem with it that I had.

We did not really test out the scalability because it was just me using it. I did not roll it out to teams or anything like that. So it was just me. I also did the maintenance on my own.

In a previous organization, I had been using Visual Paradigm. I switched what I was using because I came to this organization and they are using ERwin. I did a little research into both the products for the sake of comparison and to see what the differences are and to gauge familiarity.

The initial installation was very easy and straightforward.

I did not use the help of any consultants or tech support and got it up and running on my own pretty easily.

You can use Paradigm on a subscription basis and you can choose from different tiers of subscription. If you do not use the product much, you can only pay as little as $6 US a month. If you want to use some of the very advanced features for it, you pay as much as $197 a month. One of the nice things is that you can move between the tiers from month to month so you are not restricted to one pricing model.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to people looking into this product is that I would suggest for them to try it. It is priced really well with an attractive pricing model.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Visual Paradigm by giving it eight-out-of-ten. It could not really be any higher because of the connectivity issues I experienced with SQL Server. Also, I had a pretty good machine at the time and I got the impression that Paradigm could be quite a heavy user of resources. It took a lot of memory when it ran.

More Visual Paradigm reviews from users