Visual SourceSafe Review

Provides for the setup of software development teams in a sandbox environment. I would like to see external backup for project source code files to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

• Version control
  • Central repository for all project sources
  • Smooth and easy integration with Visual Studio and multi-developer supporting/tracking features
  • Provides for an inexpensive and quick setup for small software development teams in a sandbox environment, such as virtual machines

How has it helped my organization?

Visual SourceSafe 2005 allows for more than one developer to check-out the same source code file and contribute to it. This is just like with Git and with other distributed Source Control Systems.

What needs improvement?

We migrated most of the projects to Team Foundation Server (TFS). Visual SourceSafe could borrow some new features from TFS such as:

• Improved protection of source code against file corruption due to software crashes, power outages, and computer viruses
  • External backup for project source code files to the cloud
  • Support for Git

I have been using the solution for two years. I was working as part of a team of five software developers on two software projects for Danish companies.

We had no major issues with stability.

Performance and responsiveness would suffer during the initial setup and during check-out to individual developer workstations. This was also relevant during peak check-in periods.

It would the technical support a rating of 5/10.

We previously used Team Foundation Server (TFS).

I have no information on pricing or licensing now.

We were using Microsoft products and technologies. It only made sense to continue with the same Microsoft ecosystem.

What other advice do I have?

They should switch to Git or TFS which offer more up-to-date features.