Visual Studio Team System Review

Easy to use, straightforward to set up, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

Visual Studio Team System is kind of ubiquitous in programming because it's also what a lot of systems use for their source control. It is generally used for source control and deployment, and I have a couple of clients that use it as their ticketing system. In this capacity, it is used for setting up features to be developed in running through their development processes.

What is most valuable?

This product is easy to use compared to Git, which is the alternative source control system that Microsoft is trying to push these days. Git is very difficult to use properly and it is not as feature-friendly as Team System used to be.

What needs improvement?

I have seen customizations with Team System that allowed it to integrate into other ticketing systems like Jira, which would be a really nice feature to see.

I have been using Visual Studio Team System for approximately 10 years.

I am not familiar with any issues with respect to stability, and I have never seen Team System crash.

I have never had any problems with scaling. My clients generally work on projects that have anywhere between one person and 80 people working on them.

I have never spoken with technical support.

I did use alternatives, but it was going back to 2005 or 2006 and I don't remember what it was that we used back then. These days, it is so ubiquitous for Visual Studio development that I would not even think about it.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. If it's in-house then you just deploy it to a server. I think that it comes with its own SQL database, as well. Then, you just link Visual Studio to the implementation and start adding files.

The installation is seamless as to what I usually do.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

The features are fine for what it is. It works very well. It's designed for a specific niche, which is a very big niche. In summary, this is a good product that is straightforward, easy to use, and manages well.

It's a fine product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Visual Studio Team System reviews from users
...who compared it with Visual SourceSafe
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, IBM, Perforce and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.