Visual Studio Team System Review

Scalable, flexible, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote repository and management and source control.

What is most valuable?

The analyst feature is very useful to us.

We like that it's quite flexible and you can make a variety of changes using it. There are all kinds of different tasks you can leverage.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Microsoft makes great products. They are quite robust.

The solution can scale.

The stability is good.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it gets tough when you're dealing with a larger process if you're accessing it through the VPN. If you're not on the local network, you're accessing through the VPN, which already makes it slower in general, and then on top of that, if you're accessing a really large process, you're going to feel it slow down even more. The product sort of gets stuck when you're trying to connect and operate for the first time.

When you go into the front-end, the web portal, if, for example, you pick up an issue, it would be ideal if the branch was automatically created in the repository. Right now, this isn't the case.

I've been using the solution over the last 12 months. I've used it for a while.

The solution is pretty stable. I used it on an earlier job and it was fine. There were no bugs or glitches. It doesn't seem to crash or freeze. It's good overall.

The solution scales quite well. I've used it in larger companies and it was great. At my previous employer, I had 100 or more programmers and the product handled everything like a charm, no problem.

I've never had to contact technical support. I guess that says something about the quality of their service that I've never had to call them up. However, since I have never spoken with them, I can't directly speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We found the initial setup to be pretty simple and straightforward. It was not very complex or difficult. An organization shouldn't have too much trouble with the initial setup.

We have an enterprise license. That's an aspect that the company handles. I don't directly deal with sales or licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I've been using the latest version of the solution.

For those considering the solution, I would advise that they decide between a centralized or distributed repository - and then choose VSTS. For a more centralized repository, VSTS is the nicest I've used so far.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've largely been happy with the solution overall.

More Visual Studio Team System reviews from users
...who compared it with Visual SourceSafe
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, IBM, Perforce and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.