Visual Studio Team System Review

Fast and responsive with a comprehensive functionality that is good for writing and debugging code

What is our primary use case?

I used this solution for software development, writing and debugging code.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is that it is a very comprehensive product.

IntelliSense and CodeLens are helpful because they help you (auto)complete your code, can show you details about methods, such as how many times it is called from other places within the code and where.

Debugging functionalities are useful too.

I also like the structure of how it creates solutions and programs.

Visual Studio is quite fast and responsive compared to some other programs that I have used.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the inclusion of more programming languages, especially better support for Java.

I have been using the 2015 edition for some four years. I started using the 2017 version more recently, perhaps four or five months ago.

I did have some issues with the 2015 version where on very few occasions it froze or just crashed. With the 2017 version, I have never had this problem. I have to say that with the 2017 version, the stability has improved.

We have perhaps 50 to 200 users in our company. We are spread over different locations and we have about 50 users here, whereas we have up to 200 globally.

I have never had the opportunity to speak with Microsoft directly because our company is supported by our internal group.

What other advice do I have?

The 2017 version is similar to 2015, they have added a few things. One difference is the setup experience, although it is not a groundbreaking change. I know that they have released a new version, 2019, that allows for sharing of what you see also remotely. You can work on code with your colleague who is developing somewhere else, remotely.

When it comes to this solution, I am not really missing anything I needed from an IDE.