VisualCron Review

Sends error alerts on job failure to appropriate IT and/or business contacts

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for automating encryption and transfer of files between our internal systems and systems of our business partners.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using custom-coded solutions for encryption and sFTPing files, which required developer time and maintenance. VisualCron enabled us to create these types of jobs very easily without developer time. By renewing our maintenance agreement, we stay on top of security requirement changes.

What is most valuable?

• Post-sales support: I've only had a few cases where I've had to request support in the past 12 years of use, but the support response time and resolution were was extremely quick.

• Ability to use job variables within a job. This allows us to make reusable job templates for similar activities and just update the job variables associated with the new instance.

• Branching logic and conditional execution of tasks within a job.
  • Logging and ability to send error alerts on job failure to appropriate IT and/or business contacts.

What needs improvement?

I would like for VisualCron to expand audit log to show who changed job variables that are initialized per job run.

Add additional security to control visibility and/or modification of jobs to different roles or persons. This would allow the shared use of a common server while avoiding accidental changes to jobs by persons who shouldn't be able to maintain them.

I have been using VisualCron for 12 years (since 2008).

It's been very solid.

I've seen no performance issues as we increased usage.

I've very rarely had to reach out to support, but the response time and resolution was very quick in the few incidents I needed to reach out.

They also have an active user community forum which is helpful for learning.

We used "homegrown" code along with other vendor libraries. VisualCron is easier to maintain and can be done by non-developers, allowing us use our developer resources more efficiently.

Easy setup.

We had an in-house setup.

VisualCron is easy to set up and use with good documentation.

I suggest having two licenses, one for production and another for development/testing.
(jobs / settings can be exported from one system to the other allowing easy migration after test validation). Having two environments will allow you to test server upgrades and/or VisualCron upgrades without impacting your production environment).

We did not; this was a good fit and reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

VisualCron has enabled us to efficiently automate and maintain many tasks with minimal effort from our internal IT resources.  I strongly recommend it.