VisualCron Review

Has made us more efficient, eliminating manual processes that free up our employees to take on more of their prioritized projects on a daily basis

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for practically everything when it comes to data management and much more. We've been able to automate a great number of processes that make us more efficient, eliminating manual processes that free up our employees to take on more of their prioritized projects on a daily basis. It also greatly helps with communication, whether it be for error reporting or status reporting. It's hard to come up with a primary use case when we've been able to improve so many different processes.

How has it helped my organization?

VisualCron has helped us with regular processing and simple tasks, but a key advantage to using it is the ability to automate practically any process. There are so many different task types, it would be difficult to find a problem that a VisualCron job couldn't solve.

We were on a proprietary platform that handled all of our data management needs, but the implementation of VisualCron has rendered that platform almost obsolete. The only thing we use it for now is configuration. The ability to clone jobs to shorten the time it takes to implement a process has been invaluable, but its flexibility also gives us the ability to create a job that can handle a multifaceted process with a complex workflow.

What is most valuable?

The Database, Process and File tasks are probably the most used task types for our operation. A lot of these powerful tasks are used in a single job, taking on a workflow that formerly required multiple systems, third party components, and/or software programs to assemble a complete process. VisualCronv is currently handling so many different critical processes for our company, it's become a key factor in our livelihood and success. This tool has also sparked a lot of innovation from our analysts and developers.

What needs improvement?

VisualCron seems to operate like an efficient machine when it comes to improvements and enhancements and new features. I always appreciate the quick response I get when bringing up an issue or coming up with suggestions. I've mentioned before that it would be great to see a move away from SQLCE and XML configuration files.

VisualCron support was lightning quick starting a response to this suggestion by allowing configuration of the location of log data, so I'm sure a move to persist everything to any version of SQL Server is close.

I have been using VisualCron for 4+ years.

We've yet to experience a situation where this platform has become unstable, and the logging/communication features provide a high level of comfort for any IT professional.

The ability to host separate instances on different servers leads me to believe that there shouldn't be a user out there with a bad impression. There are certain task types that can be used to perform operations that could put a significant load on a server, but these tasks are only as stable as the responsible developer using them. That said, there are plenty of debugging and logging configurations and features to help make any task stable.

VisualCron technical support has been second to none. The turnaround on bug fixes, enhancements, and new features in the release cycle is very impressive. I deal with many third parties and I've never seen anything like it.

We were stuck using SSIS and a proprietary portal/service, which involved a lot of from-the-ground-up development, working with several third-party components that had to be maintained and supported. After experiencing the power of this product, it was very easy to make the switch.

The initial setup is very straightforward, as easy as installation and basic configuration.

The setup of VisualCron is so straightforward, only one IT professional was required to get it up and running. Once live, I recommend enforcing best practices and the use of variables to prevent hard-coding key values that could change during the lifetime of the software.

Our ROI is incalculable. This tool has prevented the need for an uncountable number of development projects and has eliminated countless manual tasks that have sprung up in the daily activities brought on by the whirlwind nature of the business we're in.

The pricing is extremely fair, and because of that, I recommend purchasing multiple instances to split out the processing load across multiple application servers.

We found VisualCron on the web very early in the process, which stopped our research dead in its tracks.

What other advice do I have?

It's been a lifesaver.