VMware AirWatch Review

Upgrades have to be scheduled, and the features we need are too expensive

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing BYOD devices and also for government-furnished devices - we support the Department of Energy. We use it for about 1500 devices.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes us more efficient in managing these devices, in lieu of not having it, that's for sure. We can also impose cybersecurity requirements.

What is most valuable?

For the most part it works, that's valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

We're unhappy with the quality of support we get for it. We're unhappy with how upgrades occur, so we are migrating away from it. We have an on-premise AirWatch solution and for us to do upgrades we have to call AirWatch to be able to perform the upgrades. They're busy, and scheduling it is not timely enough for us.

There are features that we want like the ability to use Derived Credentials and things like that, which we can do with AirWatch, but doing so we move up into a different tier of licensing and the cost increases dramatically. To get the features we want, we can do the same thing with Microsoft Intune and we're going to see a product savings of over $70,000 a year.