VMware Carbon Black App Control Review

Very stable, reasonable price, works well, and provides good visibility and reporting

What is our primary use case?

It is like a host-based intrusion detection system. It disallows or stops you from installing undesired applications. Irrespective of whether they are malicious or not, it stops these applications from being installed by the end-users and other applications or processes that might try to install them.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to have visibility into what's going on with the machines. You can actually look and see what has been installed, when it was installed, and which process installed it. It is really handy when it comes to that.

What is most valuable?

The visibility, reporting, and the ability to stop or prevent malicious or undesired applications from being installed are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Its setup is very complex, and it requires guidance from the support team, but it is well worth the effort.

I have been using this solution since 2005.

It is very stable.

We are small potatoes. We only have around 200 machines. We are actually in the middle of a review with it, which we are doing for the first time since we installed it. We're having the original guy who helped us through the implementation, which is rare these days because people usually don't stick around or you wouldn't get them back. He is an excellent security guy who works for VMware, and he told me of a 30,000 plus installation that he has done with 30,000 devices, machines, and servers, which is pretty big.

They are good. I would put them at about a nine out of ten. Their response time could be better, which seems to be a problem with everybody right now, and a lot of it is probably due to COVID.

We didn't use any solution in this space.

Its initial setup is very complex. We got help from their implementation team because if it is not set up properly, you can really hinder the operation of your environment and things won't execute or run. You really have to watch setting it up.

Their implementation team was fantastic in helping with it.

Its price is reasonable and what is expected for these types of products.

What other advice do I have?

It is well worth the effort. It does take some time and effort to set it up with guidance from their support team. They help you, which is very nice.

I would rate VMware Carbon Black App Control a ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Carbon Black, McAfee, Ivanti and others in Application Control. Updated: June 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.