VMware Cloud Foundation Review

Virtualization is easy to scale up but it should have better integration abilities

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for servicing infrastructure and as a platform for various databases.

What is most valuable?

We are able to use the product to create virtual machines. We can automate everything. We automate implementation. When a customer has their own self-service portal, they can edit their services to do whatever they want. It is a really awesome and flexible feature.

What needs improvement?

This product can be improved by allowing better integration with other systems. Better integration with systems and even as common as something like Oracle or IBM virtualization platforms. I think the integration potential is very weak with other systems. We need better integration for most products and most importantly on the cloud. Centralized management for everything will make this a much better product.

We have been using the product for almost three years.

I would estimate that the product is about 80% stable. It could be much better in this department.

I think only virtualization is easy to scale up. You need to add hardware for physical scalability. We have about 10 administrators and 300 normal users. Scalability has been ok so far, but we may meet some limitations.

I have had interaction with technical support and they are okay. So far they have been able to address my issues and do not take a long time to do so.

The first time I installed it, it was complex. But after that, it became easy for me. The level of difficulty depends on your experience.

I did not require assistance from a vendor or other resources. I did the implementation by myself, and now I do it for customers as well.

What other advice do I have?

For enterprise companies and huge data centers, you need a new cloud for each system. It's not acceptable so we try to work with everything centralized on-premises.

Telecommunication companies must have a cloud solution and on-premises. For everyday work, they will want to implement virtual machines. To maintain all those systems they need to have centralized management. A huge company must have these products. But it will be very costly for a small company or medium enterprise company.

The complexity depends on the size of the company. You need to enhance the workflows. Some things are difficult to incorporate as a new workflow. It is difficult but the end result is good. So, I recommend enhancing workflows first.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate VMware Cloud Foundation as a seven.

More VMware Cloud Foundation reviews from users