VMware Cloud Foundation Review

Easy-to-use GUI, and provides a good disaster recovery solution

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our clients.

The primary use of this solution is data center consolidation.

This solution gives you the option to have a second copy of your data center for disaster recovery. For VMware, you can achieve asynchronous replication, which means that you have active and passive replication between two sites. Active means that the production is up, but the disaster recovery is read-only. When you bring up the mirror, the other site becomes active and the production site becomes read-only.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the disaster recovery software.

The GUI makes this solution very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We would like the ability to write to both sites at the same time, in a synchronous fashion.

I have been using this solution for about nine years.

This solution is very, very stable.

The scalability depends on your licensing.

The technical support for this solution used to be excellent. When you had a problem they would look at it and send you an action plan. The plan included steps on how to repair the problem, and the same information is available if you were to encounter the same problem again in the future. You didn't have to log a new support ticket. Right now, they no longer follow this procedure. Now, the first thing they do is look at your SLA to see if it covers the problem. Next, you are left to whoever might be able to help you.

They do have a good knowledge base that includes a lot of problems and issues that have been resolved. There are steps that lead you through to resolution. You start by typing the error that you are getting, and then you will either get answers you need, or it will point you to something that gives you an idea of how to solve the problem. It doesn't always happen if you are running a beta version since it is still in the test phase.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward for me, although I have been using it for many years. If one of our customers is not tech-savvy then we don't expect them to handle the deployment on their own.

If you have had VMware training, I believe you should be able to perform the deployment. Normally, if a customer purchases a new IT infrastructure, we expect that they will go for training in order to support it.

What other advice do I have?

It is always a good idea to go for training. I would not recommend this solution for somebody who has no idea at all. It is simple, but not so simple that you can't do it without training.

Over time, VMware has improved a lot in terms of the interface and it's getting easier to use with a cleaner dashboard.

One of the biggest things that I have learned from using this solution is how much I appreciate the GUI. I come from a background where I used the command line often. When I started using this solution, I loved the GUI. It is excellent to use and to troubleshoot.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

More VMware Cloud Foundation reviews from users