VMware Cloud Foundation Review

Has good auto-scaling and automation features and has the ability to meter how many resources a department is using

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for auto-scaling and automation of VM created automation with some governance and policies.

What is most valuable?

The ability to auto-scale is the most valuable feature. Auto-scale with automation and business cases is valuable. I also like that VMs can create any cluster via click.

What needs improvement?

The deployment is clumsy and complex. There are too many things that need to be done in order to deploy.

I have been using VMware Cloud Foundation for more than five years.

It is stable and useful. After the deployment, for the user, this solution is very easy. But from an integrator's perspective, the reporting is very complex. It's not simple or easy.

The scalability is very good. Autoscaling, scalability, metering, and metering in any department is good. A department can meter how much they're using, which is very helpful. A business can calculate how many resources are being consumed by each department and how much it's costing.

We have three companies that use this solution. One of our companies has more than 1,000 users. They have deployed more than 1,000 VMs over there. Another user has 400 VMs and our third company has around 4,000 users.

VMware technical support is fantastic. They are very good at prioritizing. If it is a critical problem, they respond to us very quickly.

Previously, I used HPE SimpliVity and Cisco HyperFlex.

The setup is complex. It takes around 21 days to complete the deployment.

All licensing costs are perpetual. You have to pay for support on a yearly basis.

For our country, we are an under-developed country so the price should be lower. VMware charges too much in our country. If our customer has the option to buy a server for $4,000 or $5,000, but VMware asks for two-person licensing $7,000 to $8,000, that is more than the hardware price. So sometimes, the customer cannot pay for it because it's too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

They should think about the different price perspective for our country, Bangladesh, since we are a developing country. Our customers have to pay more than any other PC and laptop they are buying which is why customers don't end up buying it. VMware has to consider under-developed countries where a PC is $400 but for VDI their licensing is more than $1,000. Their licensing is more than $1,000 per user and the customer has to buy the hardware separately. Customers don't pick this solution because it's too expensive.

I would rate this solution as a nine out of ten.

In the next release, I would like to see better integration with NSX.

Hybrid Cloud