VMware EVO:RAIL [EOL] Review

We can plug it in, go to a web interface, and it automatically configures into the existing cluster.

Valuable Features

One-click setup and the expandability -- plug it in, go to a web interface, and then it automatically configures into the existing cluster. Because we have remote offices, ease of deployment is key.

Room for Improvement

They are already addressing this, but it could be better in terms of licensing and overall costs. As they expand the list of who you can buy EVO:RAIL, it will get better.

Rock solid stability.

Scalability for EVO:RAIL seems very good, for a medium organization it offers great scaling.

In general, VMware customer support is world class. Response time is really quick – you get connected to experts much faster than in other companies, like Microsoft for example.

All I've seen is community support, especially from bloggers and community experts. I haven’t had any experience.

For EVO:RAIL setup is super simple, when you order it they set up everything from the provider before they ship it to you.

Other Advice

Support is up there in the top five things to look at. If you can call, have online communities, easy access to articles. I would also add that if you can get through to someone who has deep knowledge of the product quickly. Stability, the issue that we have run into is that they are fly-by-night brand new startups and you can get stranded without support. You need to vet the company, they need to be around in a few weeks to help you. Also, peer reviews are very important – invaluable. Salesmen will tell you everything, we look at whitepapers and vendor supplied information. Google is your friend.