VMware Horizon View Review

User friendly with good documentation and easy to configure

What is our primary use case?

We deploy the solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user friendly.

The solution is very fast and easy to configure.

The solution offers good documentation.

Our customers maintain that they don't face any issues when using the solution and find it very reliable.

The product can really cater to specific customer environments.

What needs improvement?

Our customers haven't really experienced any issues with the solution. I'm not sure if there are any features that are missing.

The solution is very expensive.

I've been using VMware for about four years. However, I've only been working with Horizon View for just less than one year.

The stability of the solution is great right now. We don't have any complaints about how it's operating for us. We don't experience bugs or glitches. There isn't any crashing or freezing. There might be a minimal report about the disconnection of the agent, however, I would say that it's very minimal.

We have about 500 to 700 users on the solution who use it on a daily basis.

The solution is easy to scale.

I haven't experienced filing anything with technical support. I don't have experience with their services just yet and therefore I can't really speak to the quality of their services. However, in terms of VMware in general, they are quite responsive to issues and resolve out requests in a timely manner.

I have a virtual desktop on Azure.

I did not really switch to Horizon View, but technically speaking, I am also on VDI. I'm not just focusing on the Horizon side. I've tried to explore different VDI solutions, like Azure, just to see what it's like.

With Horizon, the difference is more on the simplicity of the user experience and the speed and delivery of the application. It's also more convenient because some of the users work from home and can work in any place or use any device.

The solution isn't complex. It's pretty straightforward, largely due to the fact that there's only one application to deploy. We deployed one connection server and one replica. For the external users, I deployed a Unified Access Gateway (UAG). They have volumes and that's it.

With no dependency on the firewall, I think I can deploy the solution in one week. That would be the average amount of time it would take.

At this point, the solution has been running for about 10 months and hasn't required any maintenance whatsoever.

For now, I implement the solution on my own after I have read different documentation, which I find helps me deploy everything effectively.

I have a team with knowledge of VMware, however, most of the time, I'm the technical lead on the product.

The solution is costly, however, I would argue that it is worth the money as the product can really cater to unique user requirements.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with VMware.

I'm using versions ranging from 7.9 to 7.12.

I'm not very familiar with the cloud setup and am much more comfortable with the on-premises deployment.

I deployed it to some customers. They needed to use the VDI during the pandemic. I used a setup as a work from home scenario. VDI is our solution for that kind of use case.

I would advise any organization considering the solution to learn more about the product and how it works before starting anything. It's basically not easy to deploy if you're not familiar with the product. It's important to familiarize yourself with it.

It's an excellent solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten.

More VMware Horizon View reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about VMware Horizon View. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.