VMware Horizon View Review

Deploying desktops without needing access to the hardware is very helpful, but different client versions can be problematic.

What is most valuable?

• Control
  • Consolidated way of doing updates
  • Security

How has it helped my organization?

We had to deal with re-imaging hard drives and managing PCs, so having images and desktops to deploy wherever people are without the hardware was really helpful.

What needs improvement?

I think that simplifying cross-platform use on different devices could be better. Different client versions sometimes don’t work quite as well.

It’s been great – we haven’t had too many issues at all.

Pretty good – we're a pretty small organization, and we have a few hundred desktops but it's been great for what we do.

It’s been good – no complaints at all.

Nope – we went from straight desktops to virtualization.

It’s a little complex, we missed the initial deployment. They were trying to get the most out of the resources on the servers and it undercut what some users needed.

When choosing VMware, we looked at the cost, and value. If they meet what we need, support is important as well. You should get a demo version and try it – see what it actually does before you buy it. I'd rather see it kick the tires than hear what other people have to say.

3 visitors found this review helpful
4 Comments
author avatarIT - Server Administration with 501-1,000 employees

We just installed the infrastructure for VDI and our Desktop team is working on the virtual desktop builds. It's good to know we follow in positive footsteps!

author avatarNetwork Administrator at Global Energy Technical Resources / Nawaeer AlKhair

As of now I am reviewing OpenStack on top of SUSE with Hybrid Storage. Can you suggest me whether I am going in a right direction or not?. If not, Please suggest me the correct path which will
Thanks in advance for your time and suggestion.

author avatarOwner at a tech services company

OpenStack virtualization installation is very simple, only install like CenOS to finish all server installation, and only one Console is helpful for IT managers. So many console made us mislead in the past.

author avatarThang Le Toan (Victory Lee)

I have also been implementing VDI enables workstations do not need more hardware resources on personal computers, but it is true that there will be many complex issues on the server side requires investment and research and development successfully as: Grid GPU, out internet network, simultaneous access 4K Media content, high IOPS Storage with speed, load level of each VM Host for multiple operators simultaneously, even for application visualization Cloud right...