VMware Horizon View Review

Offers good graphics facilities but the performance needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

This solution provides centralized management with a digital platform.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our business because now we can run applications and it's easier for our students to do their exams.

We learned something new and gained experience regarding single digital platforms including how they work, how it is made into a single platform, and technically how the hybrid conversion works.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the graphics facilities.

What needs improvement?

They have tried to create a solution that is similar to Nutanix Citrix. Nutanix Citrix is the leader with this type of solution, a digital single platform. VMware tried to do the same, it's close but in terms of performance and how they manage a single platform, Nutanix Citrix is much better.

In the next release, the performance, the speed, and the price need to be improved.

I have been using this solution for six months.

There are still many unknowns as we have only been working with this solution for a short time. We don't know the level of support and the servers are new to us, but in the six months that we have been running this solution, we have not run into any problems.

At this early stage, we can't determine whether VMware is able to address any issues or not.

We are still new to this solution and have not run into any issues to be able to access the level of support or response time.

To date, I am doing the support with my team with our limited knowledge.

We haven't created any tickets with VMware technical support to resolve any issues.

So far we have been able to resolve the issues immediately.

Previously we were using Microsoft Terminal Server.

Microsoft Terminal server did not meet our requirements and we didn't achieve our tasks or what we need in education. The new application now, it's reported to have strong backend, and to have a graphic backend to be able to support new applications, like Photoshop, printers, and video. It has graphics facilities.

Terminal Server does not have these facilities.

The VDI with this solution is now supported and it works for us. The challenge is to have a graphical backend and we get this with VMware, which solves the problem.

The deployment model is on the hybrid cloud.

This solution is expensive.

Nutanix Citrix is the best solution in the world. I have attended a seminar and I like it.

Unfortunately, I am not able to purchase it due to finance. Our recruitment office decided to go with Dell, not Nutanix. If the decision was mine to make I would have gone with Nutanix Citrix, not VMware or Dell VMware.

What other advice do I have?

Area 1 Horizon is a product by VMware. It's centralized management with a digital platform.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten, but to be fair, there have been several improvements to this solution. We can work with this solution. We had issues before, but now they have been resolved. Students can do the lessons that are required and write the exams.
We requested the graphics facilities and now they are available and working fine.

Overall, I would say that we can give them a rating of seven out of ten.

More VMware Horizon View reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about VMware Horizon View. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.