VMware NSX Review

Good integration with Active Directory and VMware products, but it lacks a network to connect to

What is our primary use case?

We are a professional services company and we have been evaluating VMware NSX for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us at this early stage are the interface and the integration with existing VMware solutions.

The Active Directory network integration and load balancer are good features.

What needs improvement?

Everybody needs a network to connect to, and VMware doesn't readily provide one. It is reliant on an existing network to connect to, which means that for me, it requires two different teams to manage the SDN.

We have been working with VMware NSX for a couple of months.

It seems like a stable product.

I have not checked on the scalability, although from what I have read, it seems like there might be some concerns. I will know more once I get the opportunity to test it.

At this point, we have a team of just three people who are using it.

We have not had any reason to call technical support at this stage.

Community support seems ok.

We are mainly a Cisco house, but we are trying to use VMware NSX as the next stage of our software-defined networking (SDN) expansion.

I'm not a VMware expert and as a network engineer, I find the setup to be quite complex.

I am currently in the process of comparing this solution to Cisco ACI.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to definitely start with a proof of concept. Be sure to understand your business requirements, networking, and security requirements as well.

I am currently evaluating different scenarios on scalability, integration with other products, and the underlay of the solution. While it may be a good product, I think that VMware should buy a network provider that offers the entire end-to-end networking solution.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

NSX-T 3.0
More VMware NSX reviews from users
...who work at a Retailer
...who compared it with Cisco ACI
Learn what your peers think about VMware NSX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,763 professionals have used our research since 2012.