VMware NSX Review

Good security with improved scalability and allows for the creation of virtual access networks

What is our primary use case?

I work with two different companies with different large cloud environments.

This product is a software-defined network, and that allows you to create virtual access networks and managing security to allow for different workloads.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a very good software-defined network that allows you to create virtual access networks. It's very helpful at allowing you to manage security to allow for different workloads.

One of the big improvements between the NSX-V and NSX-T is that in NSX-T you are no longer dependent on V-Center anymore. That was a huge improvement due to the fact that it allows you to take into account new cases, and have better scalability, among other improvements.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement, in any solution.

In some cases, this product is very technical.

Some configuration maximums are limiting to the user, especially when it comes to the deployment of very, very large environments. There are limits to the number of firewall rules, security groups, et cetera. With the number of security groups, you can nest all these limits, however, somehow limiting the use cases may be restrictive for the free design of different use cases.

I've been working with the solution for a while at this point. It's been at least a couple of years.

The scalability capabilities have improved in NSX-T. It is much better than when the NSX-V version was out.

I work with two different clients, both of which are quite sizeable. They have thousands of machines and thousands of security groups.

I didn't work with another solution per se, however, the previous triggered cloud tool that we had was by VMware. It was not really, at least at the very beginning, a tool for a software-defined network, however, there were some elements that allowed you to create customer networks practically on the fly. There were also some other network visualization techniques, which allowed you actually to encapsulate the traffic and to create networks on the fly. You had some security constructs, including tenents constructs, that you can find somehow in the VRA today. The tenant concept is also present in NSX.

Our customers can use the solution for free, however, this comes with restrictions.

What other advice do I have?

We are consultants and integrators. We have a business relationship with VMware.

I am working with both NSX-V and NSX-T. The latest one is actually NSX-T.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight.

More VMware NSX reviews from users
...who work at a Retailer
...who compared it with Cisco ACI
Learn what your peers think about VMware NSX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,763 professionals have used our research since 2012.