VMware NSX Review

What is most valuable?

• NSX Manager features

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed our customers to scale/extend their existing IP subnets and spin up new subnets on-demand for new app/web/DB tiers. Increasing overall VM-to-VM security and policy deployments. It has helped increase operational efficiency from a network management perspective. Many firms have multiple racks of equipment at different data centers that leveraging NSX definitely helps (extending the 'same' IP subnets to different racks in the same data center). For customers who use SRM, there are also great benefits (i.e., not having to manually re-IP DR-side VMs during a failover test).

What needs improvement?

• NSX Manager console: limit on number of NSX Controllers an architecture can have

I have used it for 3+ years.

No major issues with deployment, considering you have done your prep work prior and capacity planning discovery to ensure smooth transition.

Stability factors stemmed from existing ESXi host setup/configuration/performance and compute capacity; did not identify any stability issues with VMware NSX solution itself.

No scalability issues encountered.

Customer service is 10/10.

Technical support is 10/10.

No previous solution in place.

Straightforward setup; best practices need to be adhered to.

Implemented in-house in PoC/prod; showed customer PoC demo, then implemented at customer site with positive results.

As a VMware Partner, our ROI is the same as our customers perhaps. NSX helps us leverage our existing infrastructure that is used for training/consulting purposes.

No other options evaluated. VMware is the leader in network virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

Typically CCIE's are the ones tasked with implementing NSX due to their solid network background. Organizations for the most part do not have resources that know VMware as well as they know Cisco. The skills required to be well versed in deploying this technology is rare.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: VMware Professional Partner (consulting and training services)