VMware NSX Review

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is to implement network virtualization for L2/L3 traffic in customers environment and at a minimum implement baseline micro segmentation. each customer has a different business requirement depending on how their existing network is setup --what physical L3 devices are in place and how NSX will need to be configured to function properly.  Most customer using NSX V that we have worked with are running UCS servers or HP

with vsphere 6.7 /7  mid level transport node counts respectively etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed our customers to scale/extend their existing IP subnets and spin up new subnets on-demand for new app/web/DB tiers. Increasing overall VM-to-VM security and policy deployments. It has helped increase operational efficiency from a network management perspective. Many firms have multiple racks of equipment at different data centers that leveraging NSX definitely helps (extending the 'same' IP subnets to different racks in the same data center). For customers who use SRM, there are also great benefits (i.e., not having to manually re-IP DR-side VMs during a failover test).

What is most valuable?

• micro segmentation features
  • VDS
  • NSX Transport zone
  • vxlan encapsulation
  • edge services gateway
  • distributed logical router
  • esxi Vtep

By utilizing NSX V solutions from VMware, customers have the tools needed to move their data regardless of the underlying physical network. They can do this in a way that enforces proper security policies and compliance regulations. Even with SDN solutions, customers must protect their business-critical data residing in their virtual infrastructure

NSX V has less security features than NSX T just so you are aware

What needs improvement?

• NSX Manager console: limit on number of NSX Controllers an architecture can have
  • Support for ESXi, KVM, bare-metal servers, Kubernetes, OpenShift, AWS and Azure.
  • Integrate NSX Controllers into NSX Manager as a single virtual appliance so controllers no longer need to be deployed independently.
  • Directs to vCenter by registering Transport Nodes instead of registering NSX Manager inside of vCenter.
  • Use a more modern overlay technology for encapsulation that performs better and is more flexible for the future over older, more traditional VXLAN overlay technology.

I have used it for 3+ years.

Stability factors stemmed from existing ESXi host setup/configuration/performance and compute capacity; did not identify any stability issues with VMware NSX solution itself.

No scalability issues encountered.

Customer service is 10/10.

Technical support is 10/10.

No previous solution in place.

Straightforward setup; best practices need to be adhered to.

Implemented in-house in PoC/prod; showed customer PoC demo, then implemented at customer site with positive results.

As a VMware Partner, our ROI is the same as our customers perhaps. NSX helps us leverage our existing infrastructure that is used for training/consulting purposes.

No other options evaluated. VMware is the leader in network virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

Typically CCIE's are the ones tasked with implementing NSX due to their solid network background. Organizations for the most part do not have resources that know VMware as well as they know Cisco. The skills required to be well versed in deploying this technology is rare.

Private Cloud

NSX V -- 6.2.2 /6.2.4/6.3.1/ 6.4.6
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: VMware Professional Partner (consulting and training services)
More VMware NSX reviews from users
...who work at a Retailer
...who compared it with Cisco ACI
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Cisco, Micro Focus and others in Network Virtualization. Updated: April 2021.
475,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.