Vmware logo

VMware NSX Review
Facilitates setting security policies right at the interfacing virtual machine, which we couldn't do in the past

Video Review:

Valuable Features

NSX is extremely invaluable from the standpoint of security.

It does have capabilities of micro-segmenting a network, being able to create smaller segments of various types of applications separated by various tiers.

However, what it's mostly important for is being able to actually set security policies right at the interfacing virtual machine, which we haven't had the ability to do in the past.

Room for Improvement

So the third-party marketplace is growing and growing for this product and being able to redirect traffic to them, to the third-party products in order to take advantage of those additional features, is wonderful.

I think that one of the more important things to see better integrated into the NSX product would be an IDS/IPS type solution, which right now we're handing off to a third-party, which sometimes doubles the cost of the product. However, there are new products that we're learning about over the course of this week like AppDefense, that may actually help provide some additional capabilities in terms of that IDS/IPS type structure.

There are elements that have been added to it over the years, but its history goes way back with vShield, and has been included in products like vCloud Director, etc. To be honest with you, I've deployed it over the past five to six years and I've had nothing but great success with it.

From a tech support standpoint, as with most VMware text support, the people that we get a hold of on the phone are generally very knowledgeable of the product and have the ability to actually help us through whatever issue we have. We try not to spin our wheels too much. We do try to dig in as much as we can, but as soon as we understand we've gone beyond our limitations we get them on the phone and we've never had an issue trying to get the support we need.

It's a complex product so setup is essentially as easy as the person whose knowledge is being used to install it. There are various elements to it. It can be installed in modules - in a modular fashion. You don't have to install everything right away. And, unfortunately, with this particular product, when you read through all the marketing materials it sounds like it has to be installed completely when, in fact, you can start out with only the pieces you need and add what you need - the other pieces - later as needed.

Other Advice

I always have a hard time giving a ten to anything. I think everything needs improvement. So that's why I would give it a solid eight out of 10.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About VMware NSX?

Our experts can help. 242,854 professionals have used our research on 6,016 solutions.