VMware NSX Review
We can add VDI desktops without having to create a new VM and recreate all the policies

Video Review:

What is most valuable?

To be able to do the DR and SRM migrations from datacenter to datacenter, we're able to do them with SRM with VXLAN, with the NSX product.

What needs improvement?

Just being more knowledgeable about the different functions. I think the product is fine. It's just learning more about the product, and how you can benefit from it, and what it's got to offer.

Very stable. We've had great success with it. It's a different mindset for the actual network folks that are used to building an old traditional way, but it's much faster to get things deployed with firewall rules.

It's definitely scalable, however large, however small. We can bring people in with VDI desktops, with a control set already around that, to be able to control what they get without having to create a new VM and recreate all the policies. It's already done upfront.

It's great, if we have any problems at all, we give them a call. If there's something that's new that we're trying to figure out, they're real good about helping us out.

At first, it was a little complex, but it's more internal, just learning a new product and what it can do for you. But once you get all that set up, and done with the collaboration, and the other groups, it's really not that bad.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of selecting a vendor, our end goal is to be able to accomplish a certain function that we need to for the business. But also, if we have any trouble, to be able to call and get some support, and work through those issues without, "You bought the product now, so you're on your own." They've been real good about support.

It's changed the way we do things. It's made things a lot more easy. Once everything's set up, and you have the collaboration from all the other different groups, it just works. It's going to help me be able to do a lot of the DR stuff that I'm working on with VXLAN, working through NSX and all those rule sets.