VMware NSX Review

Any administrator with basic networking knowledge using it can be in full control of their networking in a couple of days

What is our primary use case?

Usually customers, from the beginning, want state-of-the-art, latest technologies. They would like to rid themselves of their struggle with networking. This drives them to the next step, bringing in VMware services for implementing NSX.

How has it helped my organization?

After working for about 10 years as a consultant and always waiting for networking engineers to either attend meetings, then do the changes or be willing to do the changes that we need. NSX has improved the process.

What is most valuable?

Any administrator with basic networking knowledge, in a couple of days, can be in full control of their networking without going through a networking engineer.

The microsegmentation feature is the reason why everybody wants to implement NSX. It's just awesome. I was impressed by it when I saw it for the first time. However, now that I see it everyday in production, it works perfectly.

What needs improvement?

We would like them to improve the deployment time.

The management console also needs a bit of improvement.

Less than one year.

In the beginning, the stability needed real improvements. Nowadays, it works like a charm.

I have found the solution to be robust. I haven't had major issues except for a simple connectivity one, probably because it is not integrated with cloud.

The scalability comes along when you implement it. Within a couple of clicks, it makes the process so easy. This is why companies go for it.

The initial setup was a bit lengthy in the beginning. Now, it is a bit smoother. While I like it, it still takes time to setup. It is a bit slow, which is surprising.

The solution has helped to prolong hardware refresh.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is not complex. Though, you need to have some experience in networking, but just the basics that come when you work in the industry. However, if you've never worked with networking, start at the beginning, then NSX will come along easily.

I recommend building your own lab and continue to keep breaking it. Break your own lab, because you'll find weird things.

We have not integrated with vCloud Director as our customers are not very eager to work with automation yet.