VMware NSX Review

easy set up and enables us to build one fabric over an IP transport

What is our primary use case?

Our customers had multiple data centers in different locations. Now, with NSX we built one fabric over an IP transport, like WAN internet. When we created the switches, it spread out over the data centers which are the configuration and the management of the underlying network for the VM workloads.

How has it helped my organization?

The reusability of the objects for the switches has improved our client's organization. For example, if I do some sort of vMotion, there is no need to recreate the portal groups on the other sides. We have one centralized NSX Manager which is managing those controllers on those sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would be the easy management and the possibility of using our existing vSphere environment so that we don't need to purchase a new hardware.

Layers 4 and 7 load balancing are good. We like that it's integrated with the vSphere. This means that we can see its full capabilities because of the full visibility of the kernel on the NSX management.

Microsementation is really powerful. With the existing networks of the legacy networks, we need to build a firewall between the segments in order to do microsegmentation but now having, for example, one VLAN connected to multiple VLANs, I can do micro-segmentation between the workloads even with the ushering the same segments.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to make integration with other vendors easier.

It's pretty stable. Just deploy it and just forget about it. It's also robust, flexible, and scalable.

Scalability is really easy. We can scale within an hour. We can scale either new controllers or add new hosts to the fabric.

We haven't had to use their technical support yet, which is a good thing.

I'm involved in the decision making. My boss would say that it's time to advance the customer so we'll look into a solution.

We were already a VMware-based customer so our first option for an SDN solution was to go with NSX.

The initial setup was straightforward. It follows a certain structure and you won't miss a step. It's all on the same level, step by step.

It has saved us CapEx. They should adjust the license for NSX so that we can invest in the infrastructure or purchasing of new hardware. This solution is reasonably priced compared to other vendors.

Our customers usually compare NSX to Cisco ACI. The main issue is the underlying network that VMware does not provide visibility to. They chose NSX because they were already VMware customers and they already had vSphere. The second reason they chose NSX is because of the powerful features like microsegmentation, as opposed to relying on other vendors to manage the microsegmentation feature.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight because of its ease of deployment. I'm a partner so this is what I mostly care about. Also because of the ease of scalability.

If you're looking into NSX or similar solutions I would recommend you to first learn about vSphere and other VMware products because it's essential in order to implement NSX. Without that knowledge, it would be hard for you to understand.

And to those who think NSX is complex I would say it's not. You need to try it and see.