VMware NSX Review

NSX offers agility and provides mature microsegmentation

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases of this solution are hybrid, cloud, private cloud, and automation.

How has it helped my organization?

VMware NSX has improved our customers' organizations through its automation of security policies, delivery of policy by intent, rapid provisioning, and removing security as being a blocker.

What is most valuable?

Microsegmentation and automation are two features we have found to be the most valuable.
The microsegmentation feature is a mature feature used in NSX-V and NSX-T.

We are trialing Layer 4 and 7 load balancing with this solution, as it's very new.

What needs improvement?

The next release of NSX should try to make Kubernetes and container integration a little easier than it is now. It's quite a complicated process.

I would rate this solution an eight because it doesn't have Kubernetes integrations yet, and it isn't multi-federated. Those are some of the things that need to be added to the product.

This solution is stable and robust. We've done failover testing and it kept working.

I have found this solution to be scalable, more so now with NSX-T than NSX-V.

Their technical support team is firm. It's mature, and they've got a good support team.

Business is demanding more agility and capability than ever before. NSX offers solutions to those business-level problems.

The initial setup was straightforward. You just have to click it and follow the manuals. Deploying the infrastructure code can be more complex.

We looked at Nuage and Cisco. We decided to go with NSX because they have a good understanding and a strong VMware stack.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise a colleague at another company who is researching NSX to know how the technology can answer their customer's business use cases. For those who say NSX is complex, I would agree that it can be complex but you can abstract that complexity through automation and Service Catalogs to make it easier for end-users to consume.