VMware SD-WAN Review

Fairly stable with capability for testing link connectivity, but they should embed the next-generation firewall functionality within the architecture

What is our primary use case?

a customer seeking to deploy an SD-WAN environment via 2 alternate stable methods either in a virtual environment or a physical device depending upon their site-specific requirements.

What is most valuable?

It is fairly similar to other solutions. It has the capability for testing link connectivity, which is its unique feature from a control perspective.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an on-premise NGFW embedded into the solution. They have a SASE solution that is part of the deployment model now but is more cloud-focused. It would be nice to have an on-prem all-in-one SDWAN/NGFW box for some smaller deployments that don't need or have a virtual environment nor have a need for a full SASE deployment model.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years. We generally have the version that is previous to the latest one. Our clients have cloud and on-premises deployments.

Early on, there were some issues with it, but now, it is fairly stable.

It works well, but as it gets larger, it becomes more complex and difficult to address. It is good for mid-market type enterprise deployments but not for large deployments. Our clients are small, medium, and large businesses.

I haven't used their technical support.

One of our clients was using Fortinet.

It is fairly straightforward. After you've done it once or twice, it is fairly simple.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to understand what you're using SD-WAN for. It is not for replacing MPLS. It is about application performance, access control, and manageability of your sites. Most of our clients don't even understand why they need SD-WAN or what they're looking at in SD-WAN. They think they can just replace MPLS, which is not really the case for SD-WAN. They do it because they think they are lowering costs, which in some cases is true, but it depends on the application performance criteria and things of that nature.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. They can do some improvements. There are other solutions out there that I would highly recommend over this solution, but it is not bad.

More VMware SD-WAN reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco SD-WAN
Learn what your peers think about VMware SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.