VMware SD-WAN Review

Has an optimization feature that ensures the quality of the services running on the overlay

What is most valuable?

I have found the optimization feature that acts to ensure the quality of the services running on the overlay to be most valuable.

VMware SD-WAN is a more complete product because of the SD-WAN feature.

What needs improvement?

The firewall can be more advanced.

The 4G connection doesn't come by default, and it would be good to have that in the next release.

The flexibility of use for customers could be improved as well. It would be good to also improve the reseller transfer of the box from one customer to another customer.

The cost could be lower too.

I have been using VMware SD-WAN for about 2 to 3 years.

The technical support is okay for Singapore. VMware has had quite good results this year.

To register with the orchestrator takes some effort sometimes. Our engineer did try a few times, and it's not exactly zero-touch. You still need to have all the information.

The cost of VMware SD-WAN is high, but I think you can still get better pricing if your volume is high.

What other advice do I have?

If you are purely looking at it from a connectivity point of view and not so much from the point of security, then you can go for VMware. However, if you also want security features and you have a tight budget, then you probably need to choose Fortinet because Fortinet itself is a firewall. For VMware, you have to either get the NFV model that supports a third party firewall (it's a virtual appliance) or subscribe to additional services from cloud-based firewall vendors. So, you will have additional costs.

Although Fortinet is lower cost-wise than VMware, in terms of the SD-WAN feature, I think VMware is more complete. Fortinet is still lagging on the orchestrator function. So, I would rate VMware SD-WAN at eight on a scale from one to ten.

More VMware SD-WAN reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco SD-WAN
Learn what your peers think about VMware SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.