VMware Software Defined Data Center Review

We're expanding our server environment constantly and it helps us manage that effectively

What is most valuable?

It's really valuable because we're expanding our server environment constantly and it helps us manage that effectively. Because we're a company with well over 10,000 employees and offices in over 50 countries, we need a central location for us to manage all of our servers and all of our ESX nodes. It's a great avenue to integrate everything together.

What needs improvement?

Upgrading from previous versions is tricky, especially when you have an environment that spans over five operating systems, and we're using various types of hardware. So a streamlined updating process would be better than what we're currently doing, which is piece by piece rolling out the updates fairly slowly over the course of a couple years, going from 5.5 to 6.0.

It's been a couple of years. We've been VMware customers since early 2000, so we're constantly evolving what products we use. We're reevaluating what version we should be using, and it's usually a slow trod. But SDDC, in particular, it's been about three years.

Fairly consistently. We do have to open up a few technical tickets every month, but considering the sheer scale of our environment, I would say that's typical or even better than usual.

We scale up all the time. We have an automated deployment system for new servers and it's led to this server sprawl, and it's created a new issue where we have to manage our ability to shutter servers that aren't being used because it is so easily scalable that it can almost be abused.

Like clockwork, but we have a pretty high level of service because we're such a large customer.

If you already know the basics of server virtualization, I would say that it's fairly easy. It's a central hub for integrating all these different products that they use, so for what it is, it's simple enough. As simple as it needs to be.

What other advice do I have?

When looking at vendors, I would say that we wouldn't be working with VMware if they weren't the industry leader in virtualization. So, reputation for one. With that comes service. We have different consulting groups that work with our company, but just to have heard from the vendor, themselves, that's very important just because they are the experts on the subject.