VMware Software Defined Data Center Review

VLAN and virtualization are the most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

VLAN and virtualization are the most valuable features. It is cost saving and effective with the government's money.

How has it helped my organization?

We can scale to the needs of the customer and find them solutions that ten years ago would cost them double the price.

What needs improvement?

Maybe, by just incorporating encryption and making it cheaper are some of the improvements needed. Right now, encryption is still expensive and then encryption is a requirement for DoD, so maybe if encryption got easier and cheaper it would be helpful. That's what I want to see.
The license is sort of confusing, but hopefully, it can get better.

Overall, it's pretty stable. The performance is pretty good as well, i.e., as long as the hardware and everything else is up to par.

Scalability is a big factor of the whole thing, so that's the whole point of consolidating hardware beta center and the footprint is what they are looking for. They don't want to house, hundreds of servers and now just have maybe ten to do the job of about a hundred.

We have onsite support that comes out to our site. Those guys are excellent, they're hardcore professionals.

The DoD requirements, more than everything else, is what drives us to come up with a solution for them so they give us what they want in terms of the requirement; we just reach out to VM and come up with a solution for them.
We were not using another solution before. VM is pretty much the-go-to for anything in the department of defense.

The setup was straightforward. Then, we brought them in to give us a blessing, make sure that the components are properly configured and do an assessment on it.

We had HPE in there but a lot of our hardware is HPE. So, we looked at just VM and HPE.

The reason why we ended up choosing VM is the reputation in the industry; for the last twenty years, VM has been there.

Licensing is the most important criteria while selecting a vendor. We were going to go with Citrix Systems but due to factors such as cost saving, one vendor doing everything, tons of VDI, etc. are why we decided on this solution. VM was a better solution.

What other advice do I have?

Talk to the sales team, have them come and bring their team out, go through what the requirements are and they'll come up with a solution.

Just like anything else in IT, something you must deal with is the limitation. That's why you must have your requirements before you come up with a solution. You have to talk, get all the requirements that you need and you can find your expansion plan so that your requirements don't outgrow your solution.

1 visitor found this review helpful