VMware Software Defined Data Center Review

Makes it less user intensive to set up new networking, the automation simplifies the process a lot

What is most valuable?

Automation. Using features like NSX. You can automatically create new networks, simplifies the process greatly.

How has it helped my organization?

I think it's less user intensive to set up new bits of the network now that we are using SDDC net features.

What needs improvement?

I hadn't given that much thought. A lower price. It's a fairly polished solution, but there are some things that are a bit clunky still.

Two years.

Seems stable so far, we've been using it for a couple of years. We have had problems, but that's probably more down to the user than the products.

It scales very easily. You can just add more racks of compute and expand sideways mostly.

We have used VMware support for this solution on occasion. Some people you speak to are very helpful. Others, not so much. They give you the run around. You speak to somebody to start with, they log your ticket, then they pass the details onto somebody else and then they'll eventually call you when they're free. If you're lucky enough to get through to somebody competent, then they are brilliant, but there have been times that they have not been particularly helpful.

No. You're always creating, to try to simplify and automate things to make it less user intensive, to make changes to the network.

We've used VMware for a long time now and had quite a bit of confidence in their products so that contributed towards the reason we chose VMware.

I was involved from the start to the finish. I suppose it was complex because cause it's a different way of working to what we're used to, but now that we've migrated, we're happy with our choice.

We had some help from a solutions architect with them, but mostly it was off our own back.

We looked at some Cisco products.

What other advice do I have?

Sit down and work out what you want to do before you actually try and move your move to SDDC.