VMware Software Defined Data Center Review

A very stable, extremely scalable solution that is easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution at first for business applications, then it as the port operator. We use it for the management of shipping containers, so we have a primary data center and secondary data center.

What is most valuable?

The ease of deploying virtual machines is the solution's most valuable feature. Moving virtual machines from one post to another is easy. Within minutes you can easily deploy your virtual machines and deploy your applications as well.

What needs improvement?

The automation of the solution needs improvement. We should be able to automate some processes.

I've been using the solution since 2012.

The solution is very, very stable. The only issue is related to VMware. It's an application issue and something specific to that particular application. For some VMs you have two subnets.

The solution is extremely scalable. Initially, we were using HPE MSA as a storage system. Last year we installed HPE 3PAR and we were able to integrate the two. We can use it to move VMs in between 3PAR and MSA easily. Right now, we have just over 100 users.

We've been in touch with technical support on a couple of occasions. It was excellent. They were able to provide solutions to every issue we had.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Initially, we used a consultant for the deployment when we installed version 5.0. This year, we upgraded to 6.0 of BIT3. We did that implementation by ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. It is one of the best in the market. It's very easy. They also offer knowledge right on their website, which is very helpful. If anyone has issues they can refer to the knowledge base for recommendations.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.