VMware Software Defined Storage Review

Unifies all of our storage in one pool that can be located on different machines easily but it needs better reporting

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is to make better use of our resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of this product is unifying all of our storage in one pool that can be located on different machines easily. It is actually enhancing flexibility and scalability in the way we store data.

What needs improvement?

Performance is probably the area where VMware needs the most improvement. ScaleIO is one of the competitors for VMware Software Defined Storage. In testing, the performance is one of the places where ScaleIO was better than VMware. VMware should work more on their performance to come up to the level of their competition — in this case referring specifically to ScaleIO. This really works out to not much more than having better dashboards in the management console for performance measures.

I think it could also improve in the area of reporting. It specifically lacks executive-level reporting. So that is more levels or types of reporting and some reporting flexibility.

We have been using the product for about one year.

I can say that in our experience the product that it is pretty much stable. We had a few hiccups to get past after the initial setup. But the issues we had were not directly related to the product alone. I can say fairly that it is 98% stable. Very good, but not perfect.

I cannot say that there is a particular number of users working directly with the product because users are not the right word for how the product is used. This product is serving and assisting the infrastructure. There is no user interaction with the system and using the product is transparent so it is not really scalable in the sense of the end-user. As the system scales, in essence, the product can as well, so that makes it scalable. Certainly, there are admins who monitor the product and administrate it. It would probably take a significant change in usage to change the number of administrators.

The initial setup for the product was easy and straightforward. It was not complicated at all.

It was actually installed by the vendor itself. We were there when it was done and as we watched we could see it was obviously easy to do.

This is one of the more expensive products for this type of solution on the market. The VMware line, in general, is expensive products. The high cost is why some people are running away to use different, less expensive solutions even if that means having fewer features. For some companies, it is more important just to save some money and have basic functionality.

What other advice do I have?

The product is user-friendly from an administrative standpoint and very easy to use. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this VMware product as a seven out of ten. It is a seven and not an eight or nine because of the points which should be improved in the future like performance or added dashboard options and adding executive-level reporting and flexibility.

More VMware Software Defined Storage reviews from users