VMware SRM Review

Good automation with seamless failover saves us time, but it needs better granularity when used with array based replication software.

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

VMware is being used for disaster recovery to protect two sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automation, where you press a button and everything fails over seamlessly. It is quite good.

What needs improvement?

When used in conjunction with storage replication software it is not possible to separate and failover an individual VM. When the VMs are sitting on the same storage LUN, the granularity is not sufficient.  Ideally, we should be able to choose one virtual machine and separate it from the rest.

If the price were more competitive then it would be very good.

I have been working with VMware SRM for about five years.

It is stable for now. I haven't had any issues.

It is scalable, although the downside to scaling is the cost.

When I first contacted technical support, I had some issues. However, as time went on, the support has improved and I now think that it is okay.

Prior to using VMware SRM, we were doing everything manually. Failover of VMs was done manually from promoting the replicated LUNs to read write and then bringing them up in the DR VMware environment.  It was a lot of manual work when dealing with hundreds of VMs.

The initial setup is all right and we have had no issues with it.

The cost of SRM is a little bit high, especially for smaller companies.

Yes Veeam and RecoverPoint for VM

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a mature product that works very well. It is easy to set up. I like the fact that it has a bubble test feature that allows you to test your configurations without actually failing over. However SRM is very pricy.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More VMware SRM reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Zerto
Learn what your peers think about VMware SRM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.