VMware SRM Review

You avoid costly and time consuming DR recovery tests but vSphere needs additional scalability for smaller sites

What is most valuable?

Key feature for me is the ability to test recovery plans with zero impact to the production running environment, this is key for 'what-if’ type analysis and to provide confidence that the platform can be recovered with minimal intervention.

How has it helped my organization?

Organisations that have implemented SRM in my experience have confidence that their mission critical systems will be recovered within the given SLA in the event of a planned or unplanned availability event. This avoids costly and time consuming DR recovery tests which are also often unrepresentative of the real scenario.

What needs improvement?

Smaller sites or sites with mixed storage platforms rely on vSphere replication for DR purposes so additional scalability in this tool would benefit from this.

I have designed and implemented 3 solutions with this product over the last 3 years.

No issues

More around vSphere replication than SRM

No issues encountered.

VMware Tech Support is excellent.

For VMware environments there is no other option for integrated/automated DR other than 'roll your own.'

SRM setup is straight forward, SRA (storage integration) can be more complex depending on the array in question.

I was working for the vendor.

Consider your storage design and replication policy first and as always make sure you review VMware documentation and HCL for compatibility.