VMware SRM Review

Combined with RecoverPoint, it offers zero RPO and zero RTO

What is our primary use case?

We use it, I and several of my colleagues, as a data recovery solution between VMware environments. It is a complementary solution to EMC solutions, for storage.

How has it helped my organization?

it is a complementary solution to EMC's data recovery solutions, or RecoverPoint. Combined with VMware SRM it offers zero RPO and zero RTO, so it's a good solution for both EMC's Toolkit, and for the customer.

What is most valuable?

There is zero RPO and zero RTO when combined with the EMC solution called RecoverPoint.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with other storage solutions. I would hope to see that within the next two or three years.

I've never had any problem with downtime or the solution not working. The only issues were human errors in configuring it.

Scalability is bigger and better than the competitors.

We have always used VMware solutions because VMware is owned by EMC. So we've only used VMware SRM.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are stability, scalability, things that Microsoft had issues with.

It's not entirely straightforward. You have to know what you're doing in order to make it work properly.

What other advice do I have?

Before choosing a cheaper solution, I would advise checking the limitations or boundaries of each solution. Compare VMware to Microsoft Hyper-V and other solutions - maybe open-source - and then see which fits your needs best.