VMware Tanzu Mission Control Review

A stable and scalable solution with great integration with VMware, but requires a lot of knowledge of Linux and better support

What is our primary use case?

We have clients with different use cases. We have a customer who is a service provider who sells services in the cloud and Kubernetes. Our clients have cloud and on-premises deployments.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature of Tanzu Mission Control is its integration with the other products, especially with ESX and vSAN. This is a strong part of Tanzu Mission Control. In other solutions, such as OpenShift or Kubernetes, you can find similar features, but they don't have similar integration.

With Tanzu Mission Control, you get a total solution with only one provider. You have the integration with the infrastructure, virtualization of networking, and virtualization of storage. You have a natural integration, and you don't have the problem of integrating it with different products or providers. Sometimes, different companies have good integration, but it is not always guaranteed. For example, many years ago, Cisco and VMware were good partners in networking, but when VMware started to sell ESX, the relationship was broken. This is the problem that you can face when you are using solutions from two different companies.

What needs improvement?

It is not easy to build a solution with containers. It has a graphical user interface, but you need to have a lot of knowledge of Linux and how to work in the command mode. Its support can also be improved.

Currently, its biggest disadvantage is that it is a new product, and the clients prefer to go for a solution that has been in the market for a long time. There are not that many people who know this product.

I have been working with this solution for more than six months. It is quite a new product.

Its stability is good. I didn't find any major problem that broke the solution and impacted the services.

Its scalability is good. I didn't find any issues with its scalability. One of our clients is a big company here, but if you compare it with an American company, it would be considered a small company.

Their support is not good, but it is also not bad. The support is normally outside of America. Sometimes, it is in Europe. There are people with a lot of VMware experience in Europe but not in America. However, VMware is building its support.

Its initial setup is not very easy. When you work with containers, you work in Linux. It has a graphical user interface, but you need to have a lot of knowledge of Linux and working in the command mode. It is not easy to build a solution with containers.

Its implementation takes a long time. It took us 90 days for one customer and 60 days for another customer.

You need to connect it with other parts of the infrastructure. We have ten people who are into networking and storage.

Our clients evaluate other free products. Two of our clients have a strong relationship with VMware. They don't evaluate other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VMware Tanzu Mission Control a seven out of ten.

More VMware Tanzu Mission Control reviews from users
...who compared it with OpenShift Container Platform
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Red Hat, Rancher Labs and others in Container Management. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.