VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront Review

Great querying and alerting capabilities but it has a high learning curve

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Wavefront is for metrics alerting. We use the SaaS offering.

How has it helped my organization?

Wavefront's monitoring tools and visibility into public cloud platforms are competing with the best out there. It helps us monitor our services and it gives us the alerting capabilities we need. We have, however, not used their prebuilt dashboards in terms of incident resolution yet.

I believe that the SDK-based approach in terms of its capability and adoption by developers is the right way to go because I think it is easier for developers to pull in an SDK and instrument decode and get the data and the telemetry that they need.

I wouldn't say that the solution reduced the complexity of the pipeline, but it certainly helped us get the data that we have in a single place.

We also plan to use the solution's new chart customization and dashboard customization soon. We also plan to test it for microservices-based deployment soon.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable is the querying and alerting capabilities because it enables us to write enriched alerts that are meaningful for our developers to respond to.

What needs improvement?

In the new version, I would love to see more prediction capabilities. It would be great if one could see the alerts get a little more enriched with information and become more human-friendly instead of the technical stuff that they put in there. I think those would be really awesome outcomes to get.

I would also like it if alerts were easier. It's really easy to drown in alerts. So what the developers of Wavefront could do, is to correlate different types of alerts to bring a much more enriched incident. That would be an interesting thing to look at. Predicting a problem beforehand could also be improved since Wavefront has all the data of metrics in its store. I would like to know if something is wrong so that I can go and look at it. I would like to use the AIML approach to predict problems for the user other than the users trying to figure out what the problems are themselves. I would love to see a change in that direction.

The solution is very stable.

I believe that Wavefront is able to scale to our needs. So far it helps us with our footprint.

We have our own customer service team, which helps us resolve issues as and when they arise, so we are pretty happy with that model.

I was not part of the initial decision-making process as to what made us choose this solution, but I think the issue we had, was that we were trying to bring visibility into our applications and this was one of the tools that was out there that could help us get to our goals. So far, the solution's learning curve has been pretty high. I think with the new experience it may be lower, but for anybody new, that was the biggest challenge that we faced.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to test Wavefront and see how it works for them. I don't want to rate the solution, because I feel neutral about it.

More VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront reviews from users
...who compared it with Splunk Insights for Infrastructure
Learn what your peers think about VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.