VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) Review

Cuts out a lot of waste, unutilized hardware, and improves performance

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the governance system around deployment of solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

It cuts out a lot of waste, unutilized hardware, and improves performance.

What needs improvement?

Automation: We want to be able to have a lot more preconfigured solutions. Where a user can go into the marketplace, pick out the preconfigured solution, and deploy that straight out without having a highly-skilled employee specifically for this role.

It is fairly stable. We've so far not had any major outages with it. If we have any misconfiguration issues, it's pretty quick to use the automated system to find the problem, diagnose it, and fix it, then you back it up.

It is very scalable, at least for our environment. We have thousands of ESXi infrastructure, and for that, it works well.

Have not really used it.

We wanted to scale, and these days, everything is being automated. Therefore, we needed a solution that did not require us to reinvent the wheel or create new automation scripts here and there, but used something already built into the system, which we could use to automate our web flows.

It was straightforward, but it needed technical expertise in this particular area. For those competent in the field that could help us, we utilized them to set it up.

An in-house team.

We looked at VMware. We looked at AWS automation capabilities, but at the end of the day we decided to go with VMware, because VMware was an all-in-one platform that we could use.

What other advice do I have?

Go for the product, but make sure you have experienced folks on the platform that can help your admins to ramp up and go to market quickly.

When selecting a vendor, make sure:

• They have continuous support.
  • The performance of their platform will scale, even if you load up the system to a point.
  • The system actually will be able to dynamically detect flaws and prompt the admin to go fix the flaw.