VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

They need more focus on networking however it is mostly an install, configure and forget solution.

What is most valuable?

VCOPS is the best product for vSphere and vCloud Director. It helps me to deeply understand what is going on in the VMWare platform and to fix issues before they happen. Every time it tells you things are going to go wrong, and you really can be proactive.

How has it helped my organization?

While using it, we have had a few minor virtualization and performance problems that VCOPS has helped us fix. For example, once the SQL server started consuming much more resources than expected and VCOPS told us there was something wrong with that server and when I investigated the issue VCOPS showed us that SQL was the problem. After some research, we had fixed the issue before the SQL server consumed more than 70% resource.

What needs improvement?

I think the product covers all OS's and virtualization platforms. I would recommend that they need more focus on networking.

I have used it for over five years.

I have deployed it at least 10 times from scratch and upgraded it many times. I have had zero problems!

Once we had problem that caused a two hour outage on the monitoring system. Mostly it is an install and configure once then forget it product.

No, I have had no problems scaling it.

Reaching the correct level of technical support is easy. All you need to do is to call the support line and explain your situation. After that VMware will take care of you.

I have used at least five different monitoring products. When I recommend it to my clients, they have a small hesitance at first. After I implement it to their production environment, they changed their thoughts about VCOPS. At the end of the day, I have always received good feedback.

Anyone can install this product!

Sometimes, I was on the vendor side, and sometimes I installed it in-house.

ROI starts after the initial installation is completed.

Setup cost is zero because it requires nothing, and the day-to-day cost is also nothing. In order to see what is going on with the system, we invested only in a big screen TV for the Help Desk room.

I always examined the other options and I like to see the Pros and Cons every time. What I see is while other products are improving themselves every day, VMware takes more steps.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the big picture and prioritize your needs and business requirements. Always get technical consultancy and ask the correct questions. Those answers that you will see, will show you that VCOPS is the most suitable product for you.