VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

It predicts the future state of the environment. It tells us whether virtual machines are over-committed or under-committed, whether we need to increase or decrease resources.

Valuable Features

vROps provides visibility into the environment and be able to, from a really quick look, see the health of the environment, and find bottlenecks or issues with an environment; and also to predict the future state of the environment or virtual machines that are over-committed or under-committed, whether we need to increase or decrease resources. That's the most important.

We also use the newer automation features, and the increased integration with DRS for workload balancing and scheduling. One of the pieces I would like to use more is vRealize Orchestrator, which is part of the automation solution for vRealize.

Improvements to My Organization

For example, a lot of times developers normally ask for virtual machines to be oversized, meaning that probably from the vendors, they have requirements for a certain amount of CPU and memory. A lot of times they require, say, 12 CPUs and 64GB of RAM. After they require this, will we have a way to prove that they are not using all those resources? The way to prove it is by using vROps to keep an eye on the utilization for a month. After that month, we what the true resources the VM uses. Then, based on that, we talk to the developers and we can resize the virtual machines.

It probably has also shortened outage times. There was a really widespread issue in our environment; most of our larger systems were not responsive. I was able to log on to vROps and I saw that it was a storage problem that somehow got reflected on other systems. That saved us a lot of time because it was really creating a problem for us.

We have also saved on the CPU and memory side, although not on the storage side.
With its performance management, we saw things speed up. Fine-tuning the VMs helped improve the overall performance for the environment.

Room for Improvement

Definitely something that I would like to be included is more interactions with the multiple vendors, and to be the single management tool or monitoring tool. To be able to manage the storage or network; basically, to integrate with more management tools. For example, for our networking, we use HP OpenView, and then we have a ticketing system to generate alerts and so on. We would like to see more integration on that, with those systems.

It is stable. We haven't had any problems with it.

Our environment is definitely growing, but I will say that we've designed the architecture for what we were looking for. At this point, we didn't go above or further up.

We have used technical support sometimes. It could be a little bit challenging. A lot of times when we got support, the first person that is working on the ticket probably is not that knowledgeable. Sometimes, we didn't get the answers or the problem solved in a timely fashion, so we needed to escalate. Sometimes that escalation process or escalation person is able to fix the problem basically.

We previously used multiple vendors. There were probably four or five vendors. We evaluated vRanger. We evaluated Veeam’s management piece.

We decided to go with vROps basically because for the other vendors, monitoring and managing the virtual environment was a problem, but it was part of a larger problem, their enterprise solution. On the other hand, to get the small piece for VMware, we should get the bigger piece for everything else that we probably won't use.

Initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't that complex.

Other Advice

It is definitely a really reliable solution that completely integrates with VMware.