VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

We've taken it a little further out so the application team can see their environment.

What is most valuable?

We use it for the monitoring and maintenance of the virtual environment. We have about 3,000 VMs. We use it for capacity management. We use it to help applications. We've got it separated out by the applications in each one of the VMs. It really helps to get our infrastructure team visibility into the virtual environment, so that they can troubleshoot issues and detect problems. What we've done is taken it a little further out, deploying it out to give visibility to the application team so that they can see their environment.

What needs improvement?

It's getting the visibility for all the different layers. From the application team to the infrastructure team, they need visibility into the operation of the environment, and driving that visibility and troubleshooting to what we call "fell fast" – “fell fast” and recover, or back out and recover. Giving us that capability in alerting and mechanisms, which is not there now.

We deployed Vblock 720s, and I’d like vROps to further integrate with them. I know it pulls the data from Vision, but further integration of Vision would be really good.

We have increased our tier 1 environment probably 70 to 80%. There have been very minimal sev 1s over the last two years by deploying this and putting it all in place.

We can scale up and scale out very quickly based on the demand of the business, and it has met those needs. It has not slowed down as we scaled up and out.

We have mission critical support with VMware, so we use those guys constantly.

In 2014, we had two data centers full of physical environments and we, as a company, made a decision to go virtual first. As we started looking at all of our refresh plans and our long-range plan, we saw we had all of the dollars tied up in refreshing the physicals. We started looking at the virtual environment and we partnered up with VCE. We bought two Vblock 720s and then we put ExtremeIO and VMAX on it for storage.

I manage the group that set it up. The grouping by application was pretty complex, but as far as bringing it in and getting the foundation set up, it was fairly simple.

ROI’s very good. Ultimately, based on the business case that we did, we spent 20 million dollars and got 50 million dollars return on investment.

We didn’t really look at any other vendors because we wanted it on a stable tier 1 environment, so VMware is what we made a decision on.

What other advice do I have?

Put your critical workloads on enterprise software.

5.5
More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.