VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

The capacity management feature found a lot of overprovisioned VDI desktops.

Valuable Features

• Quick troubleshooting: If the VMs are performing poorly or the multi-tier application has multiple hooks in multiple places, it's easy to troubleshoot that kind of thing. It shows when data stores are getting full, and we can take action based on that. People want reports as to how many VMs are in a particular cluster, for example.
  • Forecasting
  • Trending
  • Analytics

Improvements to My Organization

With the VM sprawl at my company, we found a lot of overprovision. With vROps, we had a script that ran, and that would automatically, based on vROps’ recommendations, size it in properly. We gained a lot of CPUs back from that exercise.

It just helps us better use resources; better troubleshooting; quick troubleshooting. It saves time.

We also use the capacity management feature to save resources, which found a lot of VDI desktops were overprovisioned. For example, if we needed one vCPU and 2 GB RAM and they already had four vCPUs and 4 GB RAM. So that's how we saved a lot of resources.

With the performance management feature, things sped up dramatically. We freed up so much resources that could be used by other desktops as well. So that let us spread out the infrastructure a lot more.

Room for Improvement

I need some simplicity in the products. The products are great. There's a 101 million metrics that you can use, but it needs to be a little bit more simple. People need to be able to create dashboards much more easily.

There are too many metrics to choose from, and the people don't know what to choose. It's very difficult to accurately pick the right thing. If someone asks for a report right away, you can't do it because you have to know exactly which metric you want to use.

I'm experienced with this part of the product, so I know a little bit more but, for example, the BAU teams and the help desk teams don't know as much as I do. Hence, the problem.

I think it's pretty stable. I like it.

We had a little bit of slowness; just the size of the deployment. It hooks into about 30,000 VMs under the hosts. It was running on shared discs and then, after that, we deployed some all-flash arrays, and then we moved it everything to all-flash. And then the problems were a lot better.

Technical support is okay; it could have been better. When I contacted them, they initially assigned a lower-level technician. The problem was not simple and it had be dealt with by someone more technical.

I did not previously use a different solution. This was the only thing. We needed something that could help us troubleshoot quicker, help us focus a lot better. We find that vROps exactly fit the bill.

Initial setup was straightforward, and I found that the upgrades were quite simple. They took a couple of days, maybe three days.

Other Advice

I recommend it. I highly recommend that you check it out. It's just amazing. VMware is an amazing product. It gives you great insight into how your infrastructure's doing. There are thousands of reports that you can run. It gives you data inside of how your infrastructure is doing. So I highly recommend it.