VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

I can see what capacity will look like in the future and where the issues will be.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is that I see the whole infrastructure. I get the information from my source system, switches, and VMs. I can see what capacity will look like or what capacity I will need in the future, and where the issues will be, risks and so on.

Improvements to My Organization

It reduced the number of tickets or support calls we have. It reduced the number of incidents or problems, in a good way.

It also has helped us avoid outages. There was a particular case when we had some issues on the network level. We had a lot of dropped packets and suddenly we realized that there's a component that is going to fail in the near future. So we replaced it and we did not have an outage.

It has not helped us save on storage that much, but we saved a lot from the memory perspective and the CPU perspective. We were able to reduce over-provisioned VM's; we reduced the amount of resources.

We have seen performance improvements. We had several systems that were running okay. After we implemented vROps, we were able to identify the systems. We could see that we have an issue with the system, and why it's not performing that well. It gave us the insight we needed.

Room for Improvement

Compared to, maybe, an easy-to-use solution such as Veeam, I think the user interface could get a bit more responsive. For the users that are not familiar with VMware, it should be more focused, to give them a better quick start, so that they get faster into the product and see the positive things faster. Make troubleshooting easier. There is a lot of information; make it even simpler for the user.

I've had some stability issues with past releases that stopped collecting information. Support calls did help. Nothing bad.

Interestingly, we usually don't have really huge environments. But for the environments in which we used it to scale out, it’s very good. We deployed multiple nodes and we were able to monitor the whole environment for our customer.

I'll give technical support for vROps a 7/10. Sometimes it takes a bit more effort. We are also a partner. We are at the first level of support. So we ask for logs and real basic questions. It would be nice for us as a partner to have a direct path to second-level or third-level support, to escalate it, because sometimes first-level support just takes too much time.

We previously used Veeam, the management pack, but the way vROps is able to connect with our source system, the network switch, you get the whole view. You don't only get the view on your virtual environments. If we want, you get the whole overview of the whole system. That's why we switched.

Initial setup was straightforward; very easy to set up. We did some PoCs or optimization assessments. Customer liked the way it sets up. Simply, setup is real good.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

Other Advice

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor like VMWare are quality of the product and support. We had some issues with past releases and with vSphere. But, generally speaking, the products of VMware are really well engineered, and you can count on support if you have an issue.

It's not that straightforward to get in. If they start troubleshooting, it is a bit complex. It's huge, but it takes some time to get into it. That's the reason for my rating.

It's a really good product. I like using it. I like the feedback I receive from my customers.

I would definitely recommend checking out vROps because of the whole package, the overview of the whole infrastructure.