VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Application owners see trends such as the peak resource usage times.

Valuable Features

Reporting is product’s the most valuable feature: VM reporting, ESX reporting, trends, seeing where processes could be improved, seeing where resources could be reclaimed; basically, managing and balancing the vCenters. For what I do, most of the things I monitor are VMs. Application owners at times will have problems with their applications running on the VM and they want to see trends such as when are peak times when their resources are being used, such as CP use or memory, IOs and information like that. I could easily give them feedback - run a customized report - and say, "These are your peak hours, peak times."

Improvements to My Organization

It gives you a quicker view into the organization, instead of having to go through manual steps to figure that out; it's right there in front of you. We have app owners that use information. Most of the users currently are other IT folks in a virtualization environment.

The application monitoring helps us avoid outages. For example, we set up an application and we monitored it. Then, once the application started using a lot of resources, we're able to realize that we needed to add more resources to this application to avoid any outage.

Capacity management is awesome, too.

Room for Improvement

Maybe improve the user interface, immediate access to data, and make it easier to get reports, from the application owner's perspective, not for me. I can go in and I can manipulate the data and get what I want. I'm just thinking from the application owner's perspective. They want a quick report to monitor; see a group of VMs and see the process over time. Something like that.

It has been stable; that's good. I haven't had any issues with it. Like I mentioned, even though I do use it, I'm not the main person who manages it.

It's scalable. Right now, I think we have 10 vCenters all over the place. From my perspective, it has not slowed down.

I have not used technical support.

At my previous job, we used VMTurbo. I was looking into vROps on my own. I actually came across it and I saw that it was cool, so I decided to invest in it because of how it was integrated with the virtualized environment.

At my previous job, I started to set up vROps, but then I left. When I arrived at my current job, it was already configured and everything.

Other Advice

It's a great product. It offers a lot of great benefits. It's something that they should definitely look into.