VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

For new projects, it helps us show management the resources required to stand up those type of applications.

Valuable Features

It'll ask me basically to obtain information regarding the statistics of all my servers in real-time. It's very important for us, because we have a large scale of VSX servers that we have to monitor. It allows us to find out if something is wrong in our resources, or there is, basically, an ESXi server that might be having some issues in real time.

Improvements to My Organization

It has improved us because in the past, in order for us to approach a problem, we needed to look into it on a server-by-server basis. Now, with vROps, we can see all the dependencies that are part of that server. If there is a problem with a virtual machine, we can find out if the problem is related to the virtual machine, to the host, or to the cluster that particular machine belongs to.

vROps has helped us avoid outages and shortened our outage time, because we've got a capacity manager; we are able to identify those clusters that are running out of resources and we are able to add resources to them before they run out of resources.

At the capacity-management level, it has helped us, because every time there is a new project and we need to account for new resources, it allows us to bring reports and, in real time, show our management team, "Look, in order for us to stand up these type of applications, these are the resources that we need." It has allowed us to provide management a visual of why we are asking for more resources.

Regarding performance management, let's say, as an example, if a virtual machine has been affected by a performance issue, there are many dependencies; it could be storage, it could be the computer, it could be networking. With vROps, we are able to see in a single pane of glass what might be affecting the VM itself.

Room for Improvement

I would like more alarm notification improvements; that's something that I would like to see. In comparison with technologies that are the competition, that would be something nice to see.

It's very stable. We haven't had any problems whatsoever. We run two different clusters of vROps: one in America and one in our European data center. Up to this point, we haven't had any issues.

It allows you to scale very fast because every time that you need to add a server into it to expand your data footprint, you're able to do it without any problems.

I have used technical support sometimes, when there is a question that we cannot answer ourselves regarding the functionality of the product; definitely, we'll reach out to technical support. So far, we have had a very good experience with them.

I previously used a different solution. Due to the fact that we are a video game software company, we use a lot of open-source software and there were technologies that did not offer the functionality that we needed in order for us to monitor our infrastructure. That's the reason why we looked into vROps. We are a VMware shop, so what better technology than vROps to use for monitoring?

I was the one that set it up. With any new technology, there's always complexity that you have to account for. Before I deployed the technology, I went to training and I got myself training about the technology. It was easy for me to set up because I already knew it.

Other Solutions Considered

We are always looking to different solutions, but due to the nature that we're a VMware shop, that's the first type of solutions that we're looking to.

Compared to other solutions that are in the market, for example, Splunk, vROps, in my opinion, has a leg up because it allows you to integrate with other VMware products, so to speak, so that's one of the beauties that I like about vROps.

When selecting a vendor like VMware, we always look for a company that invests in their own technology. If it is a new technology that, let's say as an example, has been on the market for one year, and we don't see that the company has a roadmap for the next five years into the future, that's something that disinterests the company that I work for.

Other Advice

Go for it. Don't think about it. It will save you a lot of time.

I have given it a perfect rating because it has helped me a lot in the past; that's the reason why, I will be sincere.