VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

During a go-live, it showed us that a particular cluster was overloaded.

What is most valuable?

It’s most valuable feature is being able to see at a glance if there's a problem in the environment, whether that's VMs or hosts or storage.

How has it helped my organization?

We have identified issues with performance in the past using vROps where vROps was the first thing that told us where the problem was.

vROps has also helped prevent outages and shortened outage time. During one of our go-lives with a new version of our hospital information system, we were able to determine that a particular cluster was overloaded and divert users to a different set of servers.

We've used the performance management features to really determine where bottlenecks or where issues were; the heat maps are very nice to be able to see right off at a glance what might be wrong, so you can start to drill down. A number of times, we've been able to identify issues and improve performance.

We haven't gotten into a lot of using forecasting or doing any capacity management, at least not formally. Generally, we are kind of constrained by what our vendors say regarding capacity. We use it to kind of argue against some of their ridiculous requests. But we're not using that as much as I'd like to.

What needs improvement?

I guess the biggest improvement might be some user interface improvements with speed. Also, some of the dashboards that are built-in are not as useful as I'd like. For some of the recommendations, the way the recommendations are made is not real straightforward. For instance, if it's going to tell you that you need some more CPU or memory for a VM, it's not always really easy to see exactly what it's recommending right off the bat.

I haven’t given it a perfect rating because of issues with a couple of the previous installs. We had an issue where the server just stopped responding and we ended up having to reinstall it, which is easy enough, but you lose the history. It's not something I want to do; reinstall vROps.

We have had some issues with the vROps server not really responding real quickly at times and we've actually had to rebuild it a few times. It could be better.

We haven't run into too many problems with scalability, unless that's the cause of our issues with vROps not responding real quickly.

We have not used technical support for vROps.

I did not previously use a different solution.

I have not been involved in the initial setup the last two times that we've done it. I set it up probably two years ago. Since then, someone else on my team has set it up. Initial setup is at least straightforward. There was nothing difficult about setting it up. We were able to get it up and running in just a matter of minutes, and then just waited for it to start collecting data.

Traditionally, we have not had much of a budget for monitoring. We actually have a NOC that we pay to monitor things. It's hard to convince leadership that we should spend some more money on another monitoring solution. I wish that wasn't the case. I wish we could actually choose our own monitoring. But because of vRealize, we were able to use vROps and that has been very helpful for us, more helpful in some cases than our NOC.

There were no other vendors on our shortlist while we were looking for something like vROps.

What other advice do I have?

Install it, configure it to look at your environment and just watch and see what it's reporting back to you. It does have a lot of canned, built-in dashboards that are very helpful and you can develop; build from those if you need to. But really, you just have to use it. It's very easy to get started with it.

More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.