VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

For baseline configuration, it can automatically sample the network over time and figure out the environment.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature I see is how it dynamically figures out the environment. It's not using straight baselines. You can configure the baselines, of course, but you can automatically sample the network over time and figure out the environment, figure out what's wrong, bad, etc.

Room for Improvement

There is something I haven't seen yet or maybe I just don't know a way of doing it. We can do some automation deploying DOVF, but it'll be even nicer if we can do automation for getting initially configured. I deploy a lot, so ways for me to automate deployment would be helpful.

Some of our clients use VM tags a lot, and another major improvement would be if we could dynamically create groups and policies in vROps that match the VM tags. If we could say something like, "Auto-import these 10 tags. Auto-create the groups of these 10 tags," that'd be amazing, because right now it's about five or six steps to create a tag for each one. It would be great if it could create a group for every single tag automatically for tag collection – I forget the correct term.

Use of Solution

I’ve been using it for about a year and a half.

Probably the only downtime I've seen is when it runs out of hard drive space. When I worked at a previous company, we had a really large environment and we routinely ran our disk space. We got the alerts but didn't always get to them in time by the time it ran out of space.

Previously we had four large nodes and a non-HA scenario; we were capturing around 20 vCenters and close to 10,000 VM's, so it definitely scales. It's gotten even more scalable now.

I haven't had to call support for vROps before. I have called support for other issues with VMWare, and it's been hit or miss.

Initial setup was very straightforward, very easy. I wish all the other VMWare products scaled out and were deployed and configured as easy.

Other Advice

If someone was to come and ask for my advice on the product, I’d definitely recommend it, for sure. I'd describe what some of the benefits are, and I would do that with all clients. We'd deploy a trial and say, "Let it scan your network for 30 days, and it's going to come up and show you what's wrong." Whenever I do that, it's always able to find things that the client doesn't know about. They really like that.

When I decide to work with certain vendors, I look at what's the best solution for the target. For example, we're a big Cisco partner, so we do a lot of Cisco business. We don't do very much of their firewall business because Palo Alto has a much better firewall. At the end of the day, we choose what the best product is for the client. Typically, that's the main thing we look at; what's the best product. For how we choose the best product: performance, availability, features.

Personally, I steer clear of any product that uses a Java interface, but that's just my preference.