VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

The UI is great, and it's fairly intuitive to use

What is most valuable?

The ability to project our workload and determine what kind of hardware needs we have into the future.

For example, we recently made a large purchase of servers and blades, and the solution told us exactly how many we needed to get through in X amount of time.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made it much easier to approve purchases.

What needs improvement?

We are upgrading the solution now, so we would like the alerting piece to be a little bit easier in the next version.

Some of the metrics of their recordings are a little confusing and hard to figure out (what exactly what they're telling you).

We started our PoC with the solution a year ago (June) and went live with it in September 2016.

It's very stable.

Right now, it scales up well beyond where we're at and where I think we would ever be.

Whenever I need help, I contact my local SE (sales engineer). He is very knowledgeable. When he can't answer me, he gets other guys who can assist.

At the time, we did not have anything besides vCenter, so we were looking for a new solution because we really didn't have anything which could tell us what our workloads were doing to our hosts or provide us with anything else we really needed to know.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was very easy. I had assistance from our SE and our sales rep on a call, and we set it up as a PoC. Then, we just roll out that PoC and licensed it after.

VMware and VMturbo.

We were already heavily into VMware. We looked at other operations and the projection planning and we went with VMware. The projection planning and budgeting wallets are a major piece and there are only once a year. The VM Operations Manager gave us more the rest of the year than the other solution did.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product. You can't go wrong.

The UI is great, and it's fairly intuitive to use.